Can any kind of case be resolved in small claims court?
No, small claims courts primarily resolve small monetary disputes. In a few other states, however, small claims courts may also rule on a limited range of other types of legal disputes, such as evictions or requests for the return of an item of property (restitution). You cannot use small claims court to file a divorce, guardianship, name change or bankruptcy, or to ask for emergency relief (such as an injunction to stop someone from doing an illegal act).

When it comes to disputes involving money, you can usually file in small claims court based on any legal theory that would be allowed in any other court -- for example, breach of contract, personal injury, intentional harm or breach of warranty. A few states do, however, limit or prohibit small claims suits based on libel, slander, false arrest and a few other legal theories.

Finally, suits against the federal government or a federal agency, or even against a federal employee for actions relating to his or her employment cannot be brought in small claims court. Suits against the federal government normally must be filed in a federal District Court or other federal court, such as Tax Court or the Court of Claims. Unfortunately, there are no federal small claims procedures available except in federal Tax Court.

Show All Answers

1. Can any kind of case be resolved in small claims court?
2. Are there time limits in which a small claims court case must be filed?
3. How much can I sue for in small claims court?
4. Where should I file my small claims lawsuit?
5. What can I do to resolve my problem with out going to small claims court?
6. Will I get paid if I win the lawsuit?
7. If I'm sued in small claims court but the other party is really at fault, can I countersue?
8. What should I do to prepare my small claims case?
9. What's the best way to present my case to a judge?
10. Can I bring a lawyer to small claims court?
11. Will my witnesses need to testify in person in small claims court?
12. If I lose my case in small claims court, can I appeal?