Resources for Pro Se Litigants

Agencies & Resources

  • Lake County
  • William D. Block Memorial Law Library: You can draft your own forms, access print practice materials, research legal databases, and ask library staff for assistance. 
  • Illinois Legal Aid Online: ILAO provides information about a variety of court procedures and forms. Search the website for your topic and enter your zip code for specific information for your area.
  • Court Administration: This office is located on the 1st floor between Courtrooms C-105 and C-107. The Court Administration phone number is (847) 377-3600. 
  • Lawyer Referral Service: Lake County Bar Association, at 300A Grand Avenue, Waukegan, Illinois, online, or you may call (847) 244-3143.
  • Kids' Korner: Children are not allowed in the courtrooms. If you have minor children, there is a free supervised waiting area available at the courthouse while you are in court. Kids Korner is for children aged 2 to 12, who are in the Lake County courthouse to testify in court or whose parents or guardians are conducting court business. Kids Korner is located within the courthouse on the first floor between Courtrooms C-103 and C-105. 
  • Notary PublicSeveral court forms require a notarized signature. Notarization can be obtained at most banks, currency exchanges or the Clerk’s Office.
  • Evaluator Referral List: Judges hearing cases involving custody and visitation in Family Court can secure the assistance of a mental health professional to make an evaluation of the family situation and make recommendations to the court on the best interest and welfare of a child who is the subject of a custody proceeding. The Evaluator Referral List is a list of mental health professionals or Attorney-Mediators who have completed the training and qualification and have been approved by the Chief Judge. The Evaluator Referral List is governed by Local Court Rule 4-3.08.

NOTE: The Administrative Staff of the Law Library, Courts, Public Defender, States Attorney and the Circuit Clerk’s Office are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. If you need legal advice, you should seek the assistance of an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, listed below are some contacts for obtaining legal assistance. 

Legal Advice

Related Information & Links

AgencyAddressPhone Number
Lake County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service300 Grand Avenue
Suite A
Waukegan, IL 60085
Lake County Public Defender (Criminal Cases Only)15 S County Street
Waukegan, IL 60085
Prairie State Legal Services (Civil Cases Only)325 W Washington Street
Waukegan, IL 60085