Name Change for Minors

Ver esta página en español


If you are under the age of 18, you are considered a minor in the State of Illinois. A custodial parent or legal guardian can petition to change your name on your behalf. The instructions below are for parent(s) and/or guardian(s) of a minor for whom a name changed is requested.

Obtain the Forms

Obtain and complete the following forms on the Lake County Circuit Clerk website under the section titled "Name Change":

  • Request for Name Change (Minor) (2 copies required)
  • Request for Name Change- Child Information
  • Order for Name Change (3 copies required)
  • Notice of Motion (3 copies required) - Notice of Motion is used only when the natural parents are not cohabitating.
  • Notice of Publication (2 copies required) - Notice of Publication is used only when the whereabouts of the non-custodial parent is unknown and cannot reasonably be determined.

The Petitioner shall provide the Court with a photocopy of the parents' or guardians' driver's license as well as a photocopy of the minor's birth certificate. These items will be collected by the court clerk and sealed so that members of the public will not have access to them.

Procedures for Biological Parents in Agreement

When both biological (birth) parents are in agreement of the name change, the custodial parent (if both parents are custodial, one will complete the following) will fill out and file the Request for Name Change (Minor) and the Notice of Motion in the Circuit Clerk’s office. Both parents can sign the Request for Name Change (Minor) and it must be notarized prior to filing. The Clerk requires a filing fee in cash, money order, or credit card. No personal checks are accepted. The Circuit Clerk will provide a date to appear in court. Both parents must appear on this date. This date may be any day Monday through Thursday at 9:00 am or 1:30 pm.

Procedures for Biological Parents Not in Agreement

If the biological (birth) parents of the minor are not consenting in writing to the name change, the custodial parent must complete and file the Request for Name Change (Minor) along with a Notice of Motion. The custodial parent should then send a copy of the documents to the non-custodial parent by certified mail or through a sheriff in the county in which they reside. 

Procedures for Missing Non-Custodial Parent

When the whereabouts of the non-custodial parent is unknown, the custodial parent must complete and file a notarized Request for Name Change (Minor). The Circuit Clerk will provide a date to appear in court. Next, you have to publish your intention to change the name in a newspaper of general circulation in Lake County. The Circuit Clerk’s office will forward your Notice of Publication to the newspaper. There is a publication cost, which the newspaper will contact you about, or you may contact the newspaper. The Notice has to be published for three consecutive weeks after the Request for Name Change is filed, with the first insertion at least six weeks before your court date. After publication is completed, the newspaper will mail the Petitioner a Certificate of Publication. Make sure to bring this Certificate to your Court hearing.

Court Day

On the day of your court hearing, plan to arrive at the assigned courtroom at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. Check in with the Clerk in the courtroom, and your case will be called by the judge. After court, you will then be instructed to return to the Circuit Clerk’s office to obtain certified copies of your Order for Name Change. The fee is $6.00 for the first copy and $15.00 for each additional copy. 

Obtaining a New Birth Certificate

To change an Illinois birth record by court order to your or your minor’s new name, send the following to:

Illinois Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
925 E. Ridgely Ave.
Springfield, IL 62702-2737

  1.  A completed and notarized State of Illinois Affidavit and Certificate of Correction Request.
  2. A certified copy of the Order for Name Change.
  3. A copy of a non-expired, government-issued photo ID of the person requesting the correction.
  4. Documentation required to complete the correction requested. Please visit for more information concerning the types of documents needed.
  5. Check or money order for $15.00 (payable to the IL Dept. of Public Health).

If you have any additional questions on obtaining a corrected birth certificate, contact the Division of Vital Records at (217) 782-6554 or by email at

Born Outside of Illinois

If you were born outside of Illinois, contact the office that keeps the birth records in the state in which you were born to find out the proper procedures and fees.