State of Illinois Seal
19th Judicial Circuit Court ofLake County, Illinois
Skip Navigation Links
For Attorneys
For Jurors
For Educators
For the Media
Site Map
Find it Quick  |  FAQ's  |  Our Organization  |  Services & Programs  |  Resources  |  Court Calendars

      Find it Quick

19th Judicial Circuit > Find it Quick > FAQs for Adult Public Service Unit

Frequently Asked Questions
for the

Adult Public Service

This page contains answers to frequently asked questions handled by our staff. Included are some tips that have been found. They are presented here as questions.

What is Public Service?

The Illinois State Legislature passed the Community Service Bill into law in 1979. This law created a sentencing option for Illinois Judges to impose a number of hours of free labor as a community sanction for various misdemeanor, traffic and felony crimes. Lake County's program was begun in 1979-1980.

Top of page

Who is sentenced to Public Service?

The Illinois Law allows for all probationable offenders to have, as part of their sentence, some hours of public service. The Lake County program provides services for City Ordinance violators, Misdemeanor, Traffic and Felony offenders.

Top of page

What are your hours of operation?

The public service office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Top of page

What should the defendant do if they do not speak English?

They should bring in an interpreter and we do have a Spanish speaking coordinator who can assist Spanish speaking defendants.

Top of page

Can I get assigned a work site over the phone?

No, you must come into the office and go through our intake process.

Top of page

Do I need an appointment?

No, you do not need an appointment. We take walk-ins.

Top of page

Can I find my own work site?

No. If you live in Lake County, you must go to a contracted site in our program, unless the judge orders otherwise.

Top of page

If I was ordered public service through the Lake County Judicial System and currently reside in another county or state, can I do my public service there?

Yes, you can, but you must report to our office for the intake process. We will then transfer your case to the appropriate county in which you reside.

Top of page

Can I pay a fine instead of doing my public service?

You would have to go back to court. It is the judges’ decision as to whether to convert public service hours to a fine.

Top of page

What kind of public service sites do you have?

All of our sites are Not-for-Profit organizations or a unit of government.

Top of page

What kind of work is required by the work sites?

Most of our work sites require cleaning or maintenance work, but there is limited clerical work available.

Top of page

     © 2015 Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Court. All rights reserved. | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Contact Us | Accessibility Accommodations Accessibility Accommodations